Slippery Elm Bark Syrup
- Stainless steel saucepan/pot
- Glass jar with a tight fitting lid
- 1/2 cup purified water
- 1 tsp slippery elm bark powder (or you can open and empty the contents of 5 capsules into the pan)
- Put 1/2 cup of cool purified water into a glass or stainless steel saucepan.
- Add one slightly rounded teaspoon of slippery elm powder (or you can open and empty the contents of 5 capsules into the pan).
- Whisk with a fork until the powder blends with the water. Note: Always blend it in the cold water first. If you add the powder to warm or hot water it will be lumpy.
- Bring the ingredients to a simmer over a low flame, stir constantly. Simmer about two minutes or until it slightly thickens to a syrupy consistency.
- Cool the mixture then refrigerate in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid. With proper storage the syrup will remain fresh for 7 or 8 days.
Even if you just add the dry powder mixed to an animals soft food it can help soothe the digestive system.